In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Lithgow Public Library

Winthrop Street Looking West from State Street, Augusta, ca. 1910

Contributed by Lithgow Public Library
MMN Item 100401 Item Details
Winthrop Street Looking West from State Street, Augusta, ca. 1910
MMN Item 100401 Zoom

Description

A view up Winthrop Street from State Street (both unpaved), with Lithgow Library on the right and St. Mark's Home for Women beyond.

St. Mark's Home for Women opened in 1870, when Allan Lambard, the grandson of Ephraim and Martha Ballard of Hallowell, donated the building.

In its early years, St. Mark's Episcopal Church managed the home and provided residential living for homeless women. In more recent years, it has served as a residential facility for women of all faiths. Due to low residency, it closed in 2014.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.